Socialness

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Nabisco 100 Calorie Pack Mister Salty Yogurt Flavored Pretzels (A Flashback Gather Review)

A Gather Flashback Review from March 2010.

I was recently given the opportunity by Gather to try a box of Nabisco 100 Cal Mister Salty Yogurt Flavored Pretzels: Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs Review.

I was very excited to try them out. I LOVE food! I can be picky about what I eat. I am usually picky about the meat I buy, unless it's a frozen dinner. I'm picky about the milk I drink. I am picky about the fruits and veggies I buy, though my main concern is their cleanliness and being able to get any pesticide residue off of them. I don't like artificial sweeteners and really don't like the use of artificial colors. When it comes those things I will spend more on the safer, better choices if the option is available.
That being said, the first thing I noticed while scrutinizing the box was that there is NO high fructose corn syrup in the Mister Salty Pretzels.

Here is a complete breakdown of the Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 1 Package (each box contains 6 pre-portioned packages of pretzels)
Calories: 100
Calories from Fat: 35
Total Fat: 4g (6% DV)
Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV)
(0g Trans, Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated Fats)
0mg Cholesterol
Sodium: 160mg (7% DV)
Potassium: 20mg (1% DV)
Total Carbohydrates: 16g (5% DV)
0g Dietary Fiber
Sugars: 7g
Protein: 1g
Iron: 4% DV
(0% DV Vitamins A, C and Calcium)

Ingredients:
Yogurt flavored coating [sugar, palm kernel oil, milk, yogurt powder (cultured whey protein concentrate, cultured skim milk, yogurt cultures), color added, soy lecithin, salt], unbleached enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate {Vitamin B1}, riboflavin {Vitamin B2}, folic acid), salt, corn and/or canola oil and/or cottonseed and/or soybean oil, corn syrup, baking soda, yeast.

I like that the ingredient list isn't totally full of freaky words and unidentified contents. I know what almost everything is and why it's there. I DON'T like that color was added to the yogurt coating. Why? I don't understand why it needs to be colored white. They could save time and money on that additive and save the money on the printing cost of that extra word (those costs may be small per box but they add up!). I like seeing potassium in the ingredient list since it's a nutrient I desperately need right now (I'm 38 weeks pregnant). I was surprised at the lack of calcium; with yogurt being an ingredient I thought that there would be a percent or two in there. And I always thought that pretzels contained fiber so it's interesting to know they do not (can you tell I don't read the nutritional information much?). I was also surprised at how few pretzels make up 100 calories. Other than that, everything makes sense.

So after understanding what I was about to eat I tore open a pack. My first thought was that they were tasty and a good combination of sweet and salty. When I bit into one that was extra salty I was a little turned off but as a whole, the blend is just right. They were perfectly crunchy and satisfying for a sugar or salty craving. They were gone too quickly! When I was finished with a bag I was still hungry and kept looking back in to see if any new ones magically appeared.
I gave a pack to each of my kids and my boyfriend to try out and everyone loved them. My boyfriend agreed about the portion size (his were gone in one bite!). My 2 year old would have eaten the whole box too!!
They are definitely a yummy treat, especially on the go, but not enough food to satisfy my needs as a snack. Honestly, I am a pretty frugal person and buying something that costs more because it's already packaged in portions would be a turn off for me. But the convenience is no doubt perfect for anyone busy. I understand why they are pre-portioned and I really like the concept but I would much prefer buying a big bag and separating everything myself. I've never seen this particular flavor in big bags on any shelf. I've noticed that when an open bag of anything sits in front of me I will eat more than if it's presented in a smaller amount. I know for many people (I've spoken to people about buying pre-portioned food over buying larger and separating themselves) they would rather have the portioning done for them so they can just grab and go. It is definitely more convenient to have the work done for you. For me the price outweighs the benefits when it's a product that can easily be separated like pretzels.

I would buy these if we were in need of a quick and easy snack... if they were a good price. Without a doubt, they taste good and I would happily scarf down a bag (or 2 or 3).

No comments:

Post a Comment