Socialness

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 7, 2011

Go Go Power Rangers (Samurai)!



In the 90's when the first Power Rangers emerged I was a huge fan (hey, I was 11).  I loved that they were a super close-knit group of friends, that they fought bad guys, that they wore "their" color all the time and that they had cool transformer-like creatures that helped them.  My favorite was the Pink Ranger, Kimberly.  I always adored female super heroes but this one was a gymnast too.  I was a gymnast (not saying I was good...lol)!!!  There was a super hero that was JUST like me!  I wasn't a dramatic kid or anything.  ;) 

Eventually I was "too old" for the Power Rangers though I knew they stayed around for quite a while.  But checking them out on Wikipedia I've learned that they never really went away- with MANY seasons and series plus some movies (we have one of those- a birthday present for my son 2 years ago). 
Thanks to One2One Network, I was made aware that this show is back with a new cast and a new look.   Now in their 18th (!!) season, they are ready again for action.  Power Rangers: Samurai premieres on the Nickelodeon network TONIGHT, February 7, 2011 at 8PM.  I'm not aware of many shows that have stuck around for so long.  It could be that the Power Rangers have always delivered a positive message to impressionable children who will eventually be teens (the age of the Rangers).  Really...do you want an upbeat, energetic and happy teen like the ones from Power Rangers or one of the melancholy My So Called Life teens?  How can you NOT love the Power Rangers and what they represent? 



And speaking of that, the Power Rangers are still being good role models.  Along with the new show will be the emPOWER Movement.  From the One2One Network site: The emPOWER Movement "provides parents and kids the tools they need to work together to grow healthy kids and support healthy communities."


"emPOWER inspires participation in schools, online and in local communities to demonstrate the Power Rangers values:
 * Standing for What's Right
 * Teamwork and Cooperation
 * Confidence

 * Health and Physical Fitness
 * Caring and Friendship"


We (my three older kids- ages 9, 5 and 3 and I) are definitely going to watch this tonight!  I look forward to spending family time watching a positive show with good values.  Who else is using their kids as an excuse to watch an old favorite reemerge?! 



*UPDATE*
We watched this together tonight and really enjoyed it!  My 3 year old and I ran around the house during the commercials fighting bad guys.  My 9 year old son seemed interested (he isn't a boy of many words!) and my 5 year old daughter was disappointed that it was only half an hour long.  I was pleased to see that it hasn't changed much from the original, except it's more martial arts-focused and of course the special effects are better!  I think it's a great family show that will appeal to all age groups.  If you have a family that opposes fighting, swords...things like that, then this isn't a show for you.  But the positive messages are still there and the lessons are valuable!  We will be setting the reminder for next week. 

Anyone else out there watch this tonight with their kids?  What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment