Socialness

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Super Easy Meal when You're in a Pickle

In the past few months I have had so much trouble getting to the grocery store.  I'm always loaded with kids or too exhausted or busy with...better things to do.  I'm also a terrible planner.  Sometimes I come home with dip but no chips or crackers.  Or I'll buy food for spaghetti only to get home and realize I forgot the sauce.  Lists don't really help all that much when you're as scatter-brained as I am. 
With that being said, sometimes I have to be super creative at meal time, like breakfast for dinner.  Other times it's MUCH more creative but also really easy (easy is a must)...

There is one thing I remember well from childhood.  When we were in this situation my mom would make spaghetti with pickle juice.  YES, you read that correctly!  She would make spaghetti noodles then pour pickle juice sweetened with sugar on top.  It was SOOO good.  I guess you could also use bread and butter pickles for the sweet kick, but dill with sugar is my favorite way.  I always have sugar and pickles and usually save a jar of pickle juice in my fridge and I often buy pasta (and forget the sauce) so this is always a good totally-out-of-ideas meal for my family (it's pretty rare that we have it but I was just getting a craving the other day).  Our sides are whatever veggies are in the house. 

So if you're totally out of ideas and you happen to have the ingredients, give it a try!  I know it sounds totally weird but as my son's favorite Yo Gabba Gabba song goes, "Try it, you'll like it!". 

No comments:

Post a Comment